November 11, 2010

In Over My Head?

So, the company I interviewed with last week? I know a medic there and he emailed me their protocols, or they call them "guidelines" to get rid of cookbook medicine.


And after a read-through, jeez I feel over my head.



Just some examples that they have that ALL their Paramedics can / are expected to do;
RSI
Needle AND surgical crichs
LMAs for their Paramedics
Oral and nasal gastric tube placement
BiPAP and CPAP
Foley catheter placement.... in the field.
(Critical Care medics also have escharotomies and pericardiocentesis)

The average Paramedic also has the following drugs on their truck (beyond the norm)
Heparin
Fentynyl
Acetominophen for fever AND mild pain
Calcium gluconate
Labetalol
Metoprolol
Vasotec for CHF
Etomidate (obvious due to RSI)
Pepcid for allergic reactions
Versed
Ativan
Nitro drips
Oxytocin
Rocuronium (again, RSI)
Tetracaine (for pepper spray)





So, needless to say, I feel out of my league here. I know they'll cover it in the 3-week long orientation + 1-2 months of FTO, but it still feels like a lot.


Oh well, all that's left is to wait for my references to be contacted and hopefully I get the job offer soon.

1 comment:

  1. Dude... I may have another service I wanna work for instead of ATcEMS once I get my medic. Fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete