December 4, 2010

I Feel Like I'm Back In School...

Yup... I haven't posted for a while, I know. This past week I started the academy at my new agency. You read that right, I said academy, and not orientation. No one week thing of "Fill out this paperwork, and don't kill anyone", but an actual academy.

3 weeks of guidelines (they don't call them protocols), pharmacology, airway management including RSI and needle AND surigcal crics, CEVO training, HEMS training for the chopper, pathophysiology, EKGs and all the other fun stuff done in Paramedic school, but crunched in to something slightly longer than EMT school just so everyone is on the same page with the company. Ok... crunched isnt the best word to describe it, as it's still quite adequate especially considering everyone in the academy is already a Paramedic.


I'm actually (so far in my narrow naiive view) loving how this agency treats its job. They want the best people they can, and provide the best care they can to the public, just as an EMS agency should. They call them guidelines instead of protocols to influence more free thinking instead of 'cookbook medicine'. They call Paramedics clinicians instead of technicians. They have no qualms with spending money to buy good equipment. And they have a big amount of autonomy that they allow the Paramedics to practice (though I'm sure there are a few out there who don't like "Paramedic" and "autonomous" in the same sentence)


Only downside of the academy? I have to be up at 5am for a 3 hour drive out there, for a day in class, followed by a 3 hour drive back... every day, 5 days a week. Though it will be fine once the academy is over as my duty station is less than half the distance I'm currently making, and it will be for 24hr shifts.





Can't wait to start my FTO and put my years of education to actual practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment