July 30, 2011

The Fear

One of the biggest fears of a new Paramedic is not knowing what to do... freezing on a serious call when it matters most.


Over 17 months in to being a Paramedic, and I've had my fair share of critical calls... a full blown anaphalyxis, a profoundly bradycardic patient, anyone I've had to RSI, even an MCI MVC with fatality, stuff like that, and I've come to one conclusion:

I've been able to do what's needed to be done every time so far without delay.




I'm not saying I was always confident in my abilities, that I always knew what to do, but if there's one thing that I can pass on to new Paramedics or students is this:

You will do what needs to be done. If nothing else, your mind with resort back to 'cruise control mode' and do it itself. You just have to have composure about yourself and you'll do fine.

2 comments:

  1. Nice man. Extremely informative post. I'll be sure to pass this along to my friends.
    Audi RS6 Turbo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got back to your blog.. Great advice, I have found this to be true in my own experiences. As a completed medic intern but one who has not certified yet, I'd have to concur with your statement about cruise control, I think with the right training and the ability to have composure things work fine. I can't wait to certify and blog about my experiences as a medic.

    ReplyDelete